Reading progress update: I've read 1 out of 1120 pages.

The Tale of Genji: (Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition) - Royall Tyler, Murasaki Shikibu

Oh, ye gods, what was I thinking?

It appears that 2020 will be the year of the kitten squishers, starting with de Beauvoir's 700+ pages work, and continuing in a very similar vein so far.

The Tale of Genji is on my 2020 Mt. TBR shelf, and has been for a couple of years. I meant to read it last year, but ... yeah... the size of it just didn't appeal and I found plenty of reasons to postpone the endeavour. In fact, 1120 reasons.

If I want to have any chance of actually reading this book this year, I need to make a start. Now.

The book has 54 chapters plus an introduction - which starts with advice to the reader that reading the introduction is not requisite to understanding the book (Excellent! I'm skipping the Introduction for now.) If I end up reading just over a chapter each week, I should finish the book by Christmas.

We'll see how it goes. I'm really curious about the book, tho. Written in 1008 (or thereabouts), it is this one of the earliest (some even say THE earliest) novels, and I am really keen to find out what it is about and what the style will be like.