Reading progress update: I've read 741 out of 741 pages.

The Second Sex - Simone de Beauvoir, H.M. Parshley, Deirdre Bair

The fact of being a human being is infinitely more important than all the singularities that distinguish human beings; it is never the given that confers superiority: ‘virtue’, as the Ancients called it, is defined at the level of ‘what depends on us’. The same drama of flesh and spirit, and of finitude and transcendence, plays itself out in both sexes; both are eaten away by time, stalked by death, they have the same essential need of the other; and they can take the same glory from their freedom; if they knew how to savour it, they would no longer be tempted to contend for false privileges; and fraternity could then be born between them.

Amen.

And ... Done! Finished!

I can't deny that the second volume/book contained within the book has been a drag and at times even frustrating, but overall I am so glad I've finally read the book in its entirety.  I may have some more coherent thoughts on the book later, but right now I'm just going to revel in the joy having finished a book that for years I had perceived as daunting.