Halloween Bingo - Locked Room

The Singing Sands - Josephine Tey

I only have a few books remaining for Halloween Bingo 2019, two of which are in progress and 4 of which I decided to focus on comfort and quality rather than trying anything entirely new - so, two of them will be re-reads...but I have reasons.

The first of the two re-reads will be Josephine Tey's The Singing Sands, which to me qualifies as a locked room mystery - a dead man is found in a train compartment and no one saw anything:

He picked up the two suitcases which Yughourt had not offered to do anything about, tucked the bundle of unread periodicals under his arm, and went out into the corridor. The little vestibule at the end of it was blocked almost to the roof with the luggage of the more lavish tippers, so that the door was nearly invisible; and Grant moved on into the second of the first-class coaches. The forward end of that too was stacked waist-deep with privileged obstacles, and he began to walk down the corridor towards the door at the rear end. As he did so Yughourt himself came from his cubby-hole at the far end to make sure that Number B Seven was aware that they were nearly at the terminus. It was the acknowledged right of Number B Seven, or of any Number whatever, to leave the train at his leisure after arrival; but Yughourt had of course no intention of hanging round while someone had his sleep out. So he knocked loudly on the door of B Seven and went in.

I hope to focus on this book this week, but it isn't just a straight re-read. This was Tey's last novel and I am looking to use the re-read to make notes of some particular quirks with this book. There are reasons for this, and I hope they will become clear by the next weekend. We'll see. In any case, I really like this book, even if this was not her strongest story.