Reading progress update: I've read 103 out of 341 pages.

People Who Knock on the Door - Patricia Highsmith

Eddie opened his briefcase. ‘I’d like you to read two things I brought with me this evening,’ he said, producing two magazines of different sizes, laying them gently on the coffee table. ‘Can you do me that courtesy? Promise me?’

Why should he promise? Shove them, Arthur wanted to say, and if his grandmother hadn’t been present, he might have. Twits such as Eddie Howell were anti-Darwin, Arthur reminded himself; in fact they spat on Darwin. This thought gave Arthur fortitude, even a sense of advantage. ‘Yes, sure,’ Arthur said, and stood up with an air of calling the visit over. His mother rose also, but drifted to the kitchen. His father beckoned Eddie Howell into his study and closed the door.

‘You did very well, Arthur,’ said his grandmother. ‘Kept your temper. Good for you.’

Oh, just in case anyone is looking for an update on a crime or murder or something, nothing of that so far, but that does not mean that this is not a work psychological terror. It is.

Arthur's ordeal makes for very frustrating and rage-inducing reading. And in a way, the focus of the story on religious zealots ruining a young person's life reminds me of The Miseducation of Cameron Post. Tho with a different underlying reason to the story. Kinda different, anyway.