Reading progress update: I've read 14%.

House of Names - Colm Tóibín

I had, I realized, made one mistake. I should not have threatened with a curse the men who came to accompany us to the place of death. I should have let them do as they willed, walk ahead of us, or alongside, as though Iphigenia were their prisoner. That soldier who had spoken to my husband had, I was sure, whispered him a warning. He had prepared him and now, during my time underground, I blamed myself. As a result of my words, spoken too hastily, I was certain that Agamemnon had ordered that if we began a curse, my daughter or I, we were to be silenced instantly by the gagging cloth.

After talking about my love for stories involving witches in all forms yesterday, House of Names arrived as a digital audiobook loan from my library this morning, and the first thing I noticed is that there is a witches theme in this, too, because it is about women wielding power by cursing men, or men fearing women for the power to curse them, the superstition behind both angles.

Anyway, the first part of the book is told by Clytemnestra and it has been absolutely gripping. Seriously, I had to leave off doing whatever household chore I started this morning because I needed to listen to the book. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it.)

Whether it is the superb narration or the writing in which Toibin seems to make every word count - hence I cannot tear myself away from the book - I cannot say.

I know that Chris had issues with the book - mostly the later parts, I believe - so I am intrigued whether I  will have similar issues.

We'll see. So far, this has been riveting.

Now, back to the story of superstition, sacrifice, rage, and revenge.

Happy Sunday.