Halloween Bingo Pre-Party - Days # 2 & 3

I missed yesterday's prompt as I came home late from tennis, then was too tired to type, but let me just get straight to the heart of the question:

Step aside vampires, werewolves, and - especially! - zombies! You all have nothing to draw my attention. It is witches that I love to read about. Witches in all forms.

As TA has already outlined, witches mythology is often deeply intertwined with the history of women and women's position in society, and it makes stories about witches more fascinating to me than those about werewolves and zombies and even vampires.

Tho, I grant you that Stoker's masterpiece, Le Fanu's Carmilla, and Polidori's The Vampyre are also favourites of mine...as is Terry Pratchett's Maladict (in Monstrous Regiment...I sympathise with "his" coffee addiction).

However, I have no time for any vampires that sparkle, and that is all I am going to say about that.

Anyway, witches. Witches are awesome. Before I move on to the prompt for Day #3, let me sum up with a picture of some of the coolest witches ever:

Now for today's prompt about ghosts. I love a good ghost story...as long as it isn't gory at its core. From Wilde's The Canterville Ghost to Storm's Der Schimmelreiter, ACD's The Captain of the Pole Star (which is excellent!), to more modern stories Ali Smith's Hotel World, Gaiman's Stardust, or Paver's Thin Air, there are some brilliant ghost stories out there that aren't even straight-up horror.

Noel Coward's Blithe Spirit