Reading progress update: I've read 84%.

Equal Rites  - Terry Pratchett

Oh, the ... tension, Cutangle and Granny sharing a post-"magical equivalent of Indian arm wrestling" cigarette...and:

"The old wizard and the elderly witch stared at each other, their faces illuminated by a flare of lightning outside."

And now we get to my favourite scenes (Cutangle and Granny in the leaky rowing boat...without oars), prefaced by the storm:

"There are storms that are frankly theatrical, all sheet lightning and metallic thunder rolls. There are storms that are tropical and sultry, and incline to hot winds and fireballs. But this was a storm of the Circle Sea plains, and its main ambition was to hit the ground with as much rain as possible. It was the kind of storm that suggests that the whole sky has swallowed a diuretic. The thunder and lightning hung around in the background, supplying a sort of chorus, but the rain was the star of the show. It tap-danced across the land."

I love Pratchett's description of atmospheric weather, both in this book and in Wyrd Sisters, where he opens the books with:

"THE WIND HOWLED. Lightning stabbed at the earth erratically, like an inefficient assassin."