Reading progress update: I've read 2%.

Equal Rites  - Terry Pratchett

THIS IS A STORY about magic and where it goes and perhaps more importantly where it comes from and why, although it doesn’t pretend to answer all or any of these questions.

It may, however, help to explain why Gandalf never got married and why Merlin was a man. Because this is also a story about sex, although probably not in the athletic, tumbling, count-the-legs-and-divide-by-two sense unless the characters get totally beyond the author’s control. They might.

However, it is primarily a story about a world. Here it comes now. Watch closely, the special effects are quite expensive.

Alright, here we go. My first re-read of Equal Rites. This is not one of Pratchett's best, but there is a lot to look forward to.

A dark and stormy night in a small rowing boat, for example. :D

Also, I actually love that Pratchett started out taking on more serious topics quite early on in the series, which is something I have always admired his books for - the balance between serious topics in the delicious mad-cap environment of the Discworld.

I also love the authors introductory quote:

They say that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.