24 Festive Tasks: Door 23 - Hogswatch - Tasks

Task 1:  glingleglingleglingle – if you could wish any kind of god(dess) into existence, what would they be in charge of?  Dusting?  Weeding?  We’re not aiming high here… tell us!

Any of the household gods/goddesses would be great, for me it would be the ironing fairy. I despair over ironing to the extent that I don't do it unless I absolutely have to.

Task 2: Tell us: Did you or any kids you know ever have a funny or weird (the good sort of weird) encounter with a department store Santa, um, Hogfather?

Nope. Skipping.

Task 3: Which children’s myth / mythical character (Santa Claus, Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny, etc.) did you never believe in even when you were little?

The Easter Bunny. We (living in the country back then) had rabbits when I was kid, so the idea of the Easter Bunny made no sense very early on. In addition, Santa was real and tangible as he came around at Christmas. The Easter Bunny? Nope. None was ever seen.

I'm sorry, but a I was a skeptical kid.

Task 4: Discworld features a number of inventions that mirror our world’s technology but work according to Discworld’s very own specifications; e.g., Hex, the ant-powered sapient thinking machine (computer) and a demon-powered picture box (camera). What other invention from our world would you have liked to see appearing in Discworld and how might it have worked there?

(wip)

Book:  Anything by Terry Pratchett.

I have re-read Hogfather, which is a festive must-read for me. It's just such a brilliant reminder of what the seasonal spirit is about.

WHAT DO YOU CALL THAT WARM FEELING YOU GET INSIDE?

‘Heartburn!’ Albert snapped.

I am kidding, of course. However, it is a brilliantly uplifting book set in the depths of the dark season with many quotable passages that fit the festive spirit such as this little reminder:

YOU NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN’T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME?