24 Festive Tasks: Door 22 - New Year's Day - Tasks

Task 1:  Your 2019 Book Goals:  what are they?

I have a couple of small projects lined up for 2019 - but other than that, I am planning a year of free-range reading.

As great as the Mt. TBR Project has been this year to clear some much-needed shelf space, I'm not keen on restrictions in my reading life. So, I'm taking a break from battling Mt. TBR.

The other goal I have is to read at a slower pace, which will be a requirement for some of the books I have lined up anyway, but which is something I seemed to not have done much of this year.

Task 2: 2018 Reading Year in Review.  Tell us about your year in books:  happy? disappointed?

Overall, this year was a good year for books, there have been some great ones, some surprises, and some that I have meant to read for ages but only now got a around to reading - much helped by the 2018 Mt. TBR Project.

Task 3: New Year’s Book Lottery: Write the names of the first 5 books you’re planning to read in 2019 onto identical pieces of paper, fold them, place them in a bowl (or bucket, jar, box, etc.), and draw one to determine the very first book you’re going to start in the new year.

Nope. I'll let a book choose me on the first. Skipping this.

Task 4: Find a bakery that sells Krapfen (German deep-fried sweet dough dumplings) or make them yourself (recipe here: https://germangirlinamerica.com/rheinische-ol-krapfen-new-year/) and enjoy with a glass of champagne or non-alcoholic bubbly drink – but first, take and post a photo of them!

Alright, I only ever heard of this custom of eating Krapfen (Pfannkuchen, Berliner, or other form of donut) on NYE in this game, and have since asked any of my friends I spoke to since - including the leading authority on all things "local custom", i.e. my mum.

This particular custom seems to exist in regions of Germany that are not the region I grew up in. Seriously, none of my friends know this to be happening anywhere but in Berlin (one moved to Berlin and commented that this craving for deep-fried bakery goodies definitely never happened "at home"). And to provide ultimate clarity - my mum has never even heard of this.

So, in short, there will be no Krapfen (Pfannkuchen, Berliner, or other form of donut) on NYE for me. And frankly, I'm not even keen on the idea of accompanying my glass of bubbly with a donut.

Book: Read a book about endings, new starts, or any book where things go
B O O M !

I read T. Rex and the Crater of Doom for this which was infinitely better than that other dinosaur book.