Door 19: Festivus - Tasks

Task 1:  It’s the annual airing of grievances!  Time to list the top 5 books that disappointed you the most this year and let us know why!

This year has seen a number of real clangers, but the most memorable were:

1. Wallace at Bay & Wallace Intervenes by Alexander Wilson - Hated both with a passion. So, much so, that I DNF'd the second book (whichever that one was) after a few pages. Wilson's book haven't aged well and the sycophantic, racist, fascist main characters portrayed in those books were just plain awful.

Also, is anyone watching Mrs. Wilson? It's a great bio-pic about Wilson and his family (starring his granddaughter, Ruth Wilson), but as much as I enjoy watching Ruth Wilson, I lost all respect for Wilson when reading his books. They were one of the low points of this year's reading.

Reviews here and here.

2. Noel & Cole: The Sophisticates by Stephen Citron and 3. Arthur Conan Doyle: Beyond Sherlock Holmes by Andrew Norman - Any biography which tries to psycho-analyse its subject, looses credibility in my opinion. A biography which tries to psycho-analyse its subjects while basing any observations on homophobia or xenophobia or misogyny, goes straight to my rubbish bin.

These books were the reason for what is now my default reaction to those biographies.

Reviews here and here

4. Unspeakable by Dilys Rose -  This was such a letdown.

Review here.

5. The Book of Disquiet by Fernando Pessoa - What a pile of crap.

Review here.

Task 2:  Take a picture of your Festivus Pole (and remember this is a family site).

(Skipping)

Task 3: Have your household scales perform a feat of strength: Place 10 of your heaviest books in a stack on your scales and tell us what their total weight comes to.

(Thinking about it)

Task 4: Google the word “Festivus” and tell us or take a screenshot of what you see at the left border of the results page.

I am seeing the same grey/aluminum festivus pole that others have posted already.

Book: Read any comedy, parody, or satire.

I still have to write a review of any of them, but I have binged on some comedy in November: Jane Wagner's The Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe was the first one and moved me rather unexpectedly, even tho this was written in 1986.