24 Festive Tasks: Door 11 - Russian Mother's Day - Tasks

Task 1:  Tell us: What is the mother of all writerly sins in your book (tropes, grammar mistakes, telling instead of showing, etc.)?

There have been a lot of great posts about this task already and a lot of the "sins" that have been mentioned are ones that would put me off a book, too, such as the book being boring.

The mother of all writerly sins for me, however, is when an author comes across as arrogant, patronising, biased, stupid, or revelling in his/her own greatness.

That for me is the worst.

And for clarity, I understand when a character is written to come across as any of these things. That is different. I get the point of why an author may create a character like that. No, what I am talking about is when the author him/herself shines through the writing.

Task 2: Do you have a favorite Mothers’ Day memory that you are happy to share? Photos welcome but optional.

I don't have a favourite Mother's Day memory because, for some reason or none, Mother's Day was not something we did in my family. I have no idea why or why not, it's just that we didn't...

Task 3: Perhaps the best-known scene in the James Bond novel and film From Russia With Love is 007 being poisoned by Russian agent Rosa Klebb with a venom-laced blade hidden in her shoe. Tell us: Have you ever owned any particular / outrageous / funny / best-beloved or otherwise special pair of shoes? Post a photo if you should still own them.

Yes! No picture as I don't have the shoes anymore, and there was nothing all that special about the shoes, but I once owned  pair of Vans that I bought in Liverpool during Beatleweek (a time when comfy footwear is essential) and that I loved so much that I wore them to the point that they literally fell apart.

Task 4: Make a traditional Russian dish like borscht, blintzes, pirogi or solyanka soup, and share a picture with us. Find recipe suggestions here: https://www.expatica.com/ru/about/Top-10-Russian-foods-and-recipes_108678.html

(wip)

Book: Read a book set in Russia, or involving a story within a story / play within a play (like the Russian matryoshka dolls stuck inside each other), or where a key character (not necessarily the protagonist) is a mother.

(wip)