Reading progress update: I've read 43%.

"T. rex" and the Crater of Doom (Princeton Science Library) - Walter Alvarez, Carl Zimmer

Even tho I know how this book is going to conclude, Alvarez' writing makes it sound like there could be other outcomes - it's quite thrilling to read. He does this by actually giving us an oversight of the scientific work at the time that either supported his idea or came forward to try and disprove it.

I love the way he gives equal airtime to both his supporters and the colleagues who disagreed with him, and does so without any notions of one-up-man-ship.

"Dewey and I had come to completely opposite views of the KT boundary, and our heated exchanges enlivened a few scientific meetings. But even as the evidence for impact at the KT boundary was building up, so was the evidence that Dewey McLean was right about the age of the Deccan Traps."

[...]

"Chuck Officer disagreed intensely and often—not only with me, but with almost everyone else who favored impact. Again and again he made us go back and test whether our arguments were really as strong as we thought. Even though it was frustrating not to find the crater for ten years, it was actually a blessing, for an early discovery of the impact site might have short-circuited the intense challenge to each bit of evidence that Chuck Officer compelled us to face."

Again, I'm probably still suffering from the effects of reading The Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurs ... ugh.