24 Tasks: Door 6 - International Day for Tolerance (November 16)

Task 1:  Find some redeeming quality in the book you liked least this year and post about it.

Is there any one book I liked least this year? There may be a handful, not just one. However, if I have to think of one with a redeeming feature, I need to mention Steve Brusatte's The Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurs. I thought the book was pretty awful. The redeeming feature, tho, was that Brusatte makes mention of Walter Alvarez who also wrote about what caused the dinosaurs to disappear. So, I picked up Alvarez' book T. Rex and the Crater of Doom and have been enjoying it since. I'm not sure I would have found the book if Brusatte had not mentioned it.

Task 2: Tell us: What are the tropes (up to 5) that you are not willing to live with in any book (i.e., which are absolutely beyond your capacity for tolerance) and which make that book an automatic DNF for you? (Insta-love? Love triangles? First person present narrative voice? Talking animals? The dog dies? What else?)

Insta-love and love triangles are definitely off-putting but I don't read a lot of books that have a focus on romantic entanglements so these aren't my two top peeves when it comes to reading.

What puts me off, is when:

- the author comes across as an arrogant or self-indulgent;

- the book contains a lot generalisations/cliche/stereotypes;

- the book contains a lot of inaccuracies;

- the author plays fast and loose with the historical facts.

I would have listed that I DNF when the MC is TSTL but sometimes it is just too much fun rooting for the MC to go down.

Task 3: The International Day for Tolerance is a holiday declared by an international organization (UNESCO). Create a charter (humorous, serious, whatever strikes your fancy) for an international organization of readers.

Readers shall read what they want, when they want, and how they want, for how long they want, in any location they want, in any position they want, for any reason they want, making of their reads what they want, taking breaks when they want, putting books back if they want, or reading several things at once if they want.

But most of all,

Readers shall read!

Task 4: UNESCO is based in Paris. Paris is known for its pastries and its breads: Either find a baker that specializes in pastries and bring home an assortment for your family, or make your own pastries using real butter and share a photo with us.

Do Parisian butter cookies and macaroons count?

I brought home some of both of them from my trip, tho ... there was only one macaroon left when I took this picture yesterday.

Book:  Read any fiction/non-fiction about tolerance or a book that’s outside your normal comfort zone.  (Tolerance can encompass anything you generally struggle with, be it sentient or not.) OR Read a book set in Paris.

I read Irene Nemirovsky's The Fires of Autum earlier this month, which is set in Paris.