Reading progress update: I've read 4 out of 278 pages.

A Game for the Living: A Virago Modern Classic (Virago Modern Classics) - Patricia Highsmith

There was an awkward silence, in which Theodore could think of nothing to say. The two men began to talk to each other again. Theodore was reminded of other moments at parties and dinners when something he said – granted, not of much importance – had been completely ignored as if it had been either inaudible or an unspeakable obscenity. He wondered if it happened to other people as often as it happened to him.

More insignificant-looking men than he were listened to, no matter how stupid their remarks were, he thought. Now the two men were talking about somebody Theodore did not know, and it occurred to Theodore too late that Ortiz y Guzman B. might have been interested to know that he had been asked to show four paintings in a group show in May at one of the I.N.B.A. galleries. After a moment, Theodore drifted away and stood by a wall. Perhaps being ignored did not happen more often to him than anybody else.

Social gathering awkwardness. I hear you, Theo.

Just starting our new Highsmith buddy read with Isanythingopen and Lillelara, which I am really looking forward to. It's always fun to explore the ... erm ... messed-up-ness of Highsmith's characters and plots with others.

Not that I already know that the characters in A Game for the Living is going to be messed up, I really don't know anything about the book (and haven't even read the blurb). I'm merely prepared for messed up characters as this is Highsmith's trademark. We'll see how this one goes.

Btw, apparently this story is set in Mexico City, so it would qualify for the Dia de los Muertos book task.