Reading progress update: I've read 34%.

"T. rex" and the Crater of Doom (Princeton Science Library) - Walter Alvarez, Carl Zimmer

Another example showing how Alvarez' account has a very different tone from Brusatte's:

"Standing in line for lunch on the first day of the meeting, I found myself next to a tall, blond young man who introduced himself, in a pleasant Dutch accent, as Jan Smit, from Amsterdam. Jan said to me, “I read a story about your iridium anomaly in the New Scientist, and I want to tell you that I’ve confirmed your discovery. I have a really complete KT boundary section at Caravaca, in Spain, and it has anomalous iridium, too!” It was further evidence of the global nature of the iridium anomaly, and it was the beginning of a deep friendship which would carry us together through 15 years of intense intellectual controversy. It would be some years before I fully understood the degree of personal integrity that lay behind Jan’s opening remark. Studying the rock record of southern Spain for his Ph.D. thesis, Jan had been intrigued by the abrupt KT extinction of forams at Caravaca, just as I had at Gubbio. Looking for a chemical clue to the KT event, he had contacted Belgian neutron activation analyst Jan Hertogen, just as we had contacted Frank Asaro at Berkeley.

Hertogen had found high iridium values, but at the time Jan was sick with mononucleosis and not up to looking at the chemical data. As he was recovering he came across the article about our work, looked for iridium in the data printouts, and there was the immediate confirmation. Some scientists might have been tempted to claim an independent discovery or quickly rush out a paper to establish priority of publication. But from the moment we met, Jan treated his analyses as a confirmation of our discovery.

This is the high standard of ethical behavior that scientists aspire to, and which makes the collaborative scientific endeavor possible, but which is not always met because scientists are very human. I hope I would have had the character to do as Jan did, if the roles had been reversed.

Now that I know the whole story, I have come to consider Jan Smit the codiscoverer of the evidence for impact."