24 Tasks: Door 3 - The Melbourne Cup - Tasks

Task 1: Pick your ponies!  MbD has posted the horses scheduled to race; everyone picks the three they think will finish (in any order).

I picked my horses but none of them earned any points, even tho they all deserved them.

Task 2:  Cup day is all about the hats.  Post a picture of your favorite hat, whether it’s one you own or not.

I am not a hat person. The only time I wear hats is for functional reasons or as part of a costume.

My favourite hat, however, is one that I have no picture of. It was my grandad's top hat. It looked a bit like this:

He only wore it once, at his wedding. And for as long as I knew, the hat lived in its box at the back of the top shelf of my grandad's wardrobe. I came across it first in my teens when we were looking for something for some fancy dress party, and when I opened the box I didn't just find the hat, but inside the hat was a little parcel wrapped in newspapers dating back to 1967. My grandad had hidden some of his brother's jazz tapes in the hat box. What they were and he got them and why they were hidden, is a long story. It's enough to say that his brother always attracted the attention of the East German authorities when he visited my grandad. Anyway, because we rediscovered the tapes (that was some time in the mid-90s I think), my great-uncle was motivated to get the tapes restored and reconnect with his musician friend (a well-known jazz organist in his time) that he made the original recording with - it changed his life. I have a cd version of the tapes and I love listening to it.

After my grandad passed away, I kept the hat. I even wore it once - on my last day of high school (it's a German custom to do something different on the last day of high school...). But this, without doubt, is my favourite hat.

Task 3: The coloring of the “horse of a different color” in the movie version of The Wizard of Oz was created by rubbing the horse’s fur with jello. What’s the weirdest use of jello you’ve ever come across?

Is there a weirder use of jello than jello? I mean, I have never been a fan of the stuff, not even as a kid, and even the thought of jello makes me question some people's sanity - especially those chefs that love to create what they try to convince me is food out of it.

I mean, jelly sweets are fair enough, but jello salad?

How is this not a crime against food?

Task 4: Have you ever been to or participated in a competition involving horses (racing, jumping, dressage, whatever)? Tell us about it. Photos welcome, too!

Fun fact, the village where I lived for the first six years of my life had a little show jumping training course and this was right on the other side of the road. They held events every now and then, and, as this was a tiny village, those were events that my family went to.

I have never had an interest in horses, and I really don't remember much about the events other than that we went and my brother and I got bored very quickly.

(I don't have any pictures of the place from when I was there - I was 6, right, but

this is a more recent photo of the grounds, found on their website.)

The last time I went to a horse event was about three years ago when I took some time during a work trip to Houston and visited friends in the Texas Hill Country. We went to a rodeo. But yet again, none of us was actually interested in the horses or the rodeo, we were way too busy catching up and having a great time.

Alas, no photos.

Book: about horses or a horse on the cover.  Books with roses on the cover or about gardening; anything set in Australia.

(Maybe later...)