Reading progress update: I've read 103 out of 404 pages.

The Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurs: A New History of a Lost World - Stephen Brusatte

Enough.

"The sauropod fossils from Skye piqued my interest when I moved to Scotland in 2013 to take up my new position at the University of Edinburgh, fresh out of my PhD in New York and bounding with the excitement of starting my own research lab.

During my first weeks on the job, I began to hang out with two scientists in my department: Mark Wilkinson, a hardened field geologist whose ponytail and scruffy beard give him the look of a hippie, and Tom Challands, a redheaded packhorse of man who also had a doctorate in paleontology, albeit on microscopic fossils from over 400 million years ago."

The description of his colleagues is pretty insulting, and I wonder whether the author just really thinks he's hip and funny or whether he just doesn't care that this sort of description of people in his own professional field is inappropriate.

I'm DNF-ing this.

I'll probably skim-skip through the rest, but I can't get much out what I have read so far, and the author seems to have his head way up his own backside, which just kills the book for me.