Reading progress update: I've read 38%.

Ways to Die in Glasgow - Jay Stringer

Just when i thought about switching to another, more entertaining book, this scene pops up:

Then the bell rang again. There was another grunt, and the person on the other side walked down the hallway, and soon I heard the creak of the stairs.

I opened the door and stepped out onto the landing, placing my feet at the sides, hoping to avoid the creaking floorboards. There were two buckets and a mop placed by the door. One of the buckets was full of warm bleached water; the other was dry but full of sponges. I made it to the top of the stairs and peered down, but I couldn’t see the front door. The angle of the staircase kept it out of sight. I heard the door open, and then I heard Phil’s voice. ‘Hello, sir.’ He spoke loudly, doing a half-arsed impression of Brian Blessed. ‘Could I talk to you please about our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ?’

There was a grunt, the same one that had just been inches away from me, and a hoarse eastern European voice said, ‘Eh? No. I thank you.’

I heard the door start to close, but something stopped it. I imagined it was Phil’s foot.

‘Really, sir, He loves you. He loves me too, though He’s not so much a fan of what I get up to in my spare time.’

This caught the man’s attention.