16 Tasks of the Festive Season - Square #10: World Peace Day

The Dalai Lama's Book of Wisdom - Dalai Lama XIV

Book themes for World Peace Day: Read a book by or about a Nobel Peace Prize winner, or about a protagonist (fictional or nonfictional) who has a reputation as a peacemaker.

This is a re-read. It is one of those books that I like to dig out every now and then to re-visit and ponder over. The fact that it qualifies for one of the book tasks is an additional bonus.

From the Foreword:

The Book of Wisdom is an extract from the earlier publication of Power of Compassion – teachings by His Holiness the Dalai Lama given in May 1993 in London.

It is hoped that this extract – The Book of Wisdom – will bring His Holiness the Dalai Lama’s message about the importance of love, compassion and forgiveness to a wider audience.

His Holiness the Dalai Lama is the spiritual and temporal leader of the Tibetan people. In 1989 His Holiness the Dalai Lama was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for his non-violent struggle for the liberation of Tibet. Since 1959 His Holiness has been living in exile in India. Tibet continues to be occupied by Communist China.

The Office of Tibet, London

September 1999

Although I speak from my own experience, I feel that no one has the right to impose his or her beliefs on another person. I will not propose to you that my way is best. The decision is up to you. If you find some point which may be suitable for you, then you can carry out experiments for yourself. If you find that it is of no use, then you can discard it.

- His Holiness the XIV Dalai Lama