16 Tasks of the Festive Season - Square #4: November 22nd and 23rd - Thanksgiving

Tasks for Thanksgiving Day: List of 5 things you’re grateful for –OR– a picture of your thanksgiving feast; post your favourite turkey-day recipe.  –OR– Be thankful for yourself and treat yourself to a new book and post a picture of it.

Thanksgiving Day is not a holiday that is celebrated where I am from or live now, and I have no pictures or recipes to share from the Thanksgiving meals that I have experienced when living in the US as I was unwell on both occasions - I always seem to pick up a viral infection towards the end of November... Although, one of the two turkey days turned out to be quite memorable as the friends I stayed with all suffered from the same infection. We still made an effort to put a meal together, and it did look impressive, but by the time we sat down for dinner, everyone practically fell asleep at the table...or felt too ill to actually eat.

Anyway, this does bring me to my actual task: There are a lot of things that I am thankful for - most are in no particular order:

1. Health. Relatively speaking. Most people will have niggles and things as do I but all are manageable, not life-threatening, and thanks to living in a country with a healthcare system open to all (long may it last!) are not impeding on anything too much.

2. My Mom. She is awesome. We've not always seen eye to eye and it has taken us both a long time to fully accept that there is a limit to the amount of time that we can spend in each other's company without needing a break, but that just makes the time we do spend together so much better.

3. Friends. They are all weird but wonderful and I am grateful that they want to spend time with me. I am picky about friends. What I mean is, I don't take friendships lightly. I have a relatively small group of very good friends from all walks of life, and many of them have been friends for a very long time.

4. Challenges. I have been lucky in that I have not had to face truly horrible situations, and know that in many respects, I've been privileged. So, when faced with the (relatively speaking) small challenges I do come across I do value them as a reminder of that privilege and as a reminder to not get too complacent with any situation I might find myself in.

5. Travel. I am thankful for the ability to travel relatively often and to destinations that I would not have thought I'd ever visit. I know a lot of people who would like to travel but aren't able to for various reasons, and I also know some people who like the idea of travel but lack the confidence to leave their comfort zones.

So, those are the 5 things I choose to be thankful for this year. As a 6th, I would add books and bookish people like all of you in the BL community, who are making my days a lot more colourful than they would be otherwise.

And as no holiday would be complete without the acquisition of a book, I picked up this one on the trip to Penang (the coffee was recommended by friends - it's not what I expected but it goes well with the book):