Halloween Bingo - Genre: Horror

Gilded Needles (Valancourt 20th Century Classics) - Christopher Fowler, Michael McDowell, Mike Mignola

Just as well Obsidian Black Plague / Blue called the Genre: Horror square today because I finished McDowell's Wicked Stepmother last night and have been thinking about his work all day.

Char introduced me to Michael McDowell last year, and I really enjoyed what I have read by him so far. I have had a couple of more books sitting on my kindle, waiting for an occasion to be read. What better occasion than Halloween Bingo?!

So, for the Genre: Horror square I will turn to McDowell's Gilded Needles, because...really... who could resist this blurb?

"Welcome to the Black Triangle, New York's decadent district of opium dens, gambling casinos, drunken sailors, gaudy hookers, and back room abortions. The queen of this unsavory neighborhood is Black Lena Shanks, whose family leads a ring of female criminals-women skilled in the art of cruelty.

Only a few blocks away, amidst the elegant mansions and lily-white reputations of Gramercy Park and Washington Square, lives Judge James Stallworth. On a crusade to crush Lena's evil empire, the judge has sentenced three of her family members to death. And now she wants revenge."