Halloween Bingo - Diverse Voices

Haiti Noir - Mark Kurlansky, Edwidge Danticat, Madison Smartt Bell, Evelyne Trouillot, Ibi Zoboi, Louis-Philippe Dalembert, Rodney Saint-Eloi, Patrick Sylvain, Katia D. Ulysse, Gary Victor, Yanick Lahens, Various Authors, Kettly Mars, Marie Ketsia Theodore-Pharel, Josaphat-Robert L

The postie just dropped my copy of Haiti Noir through the letter box. I'm excited.

Apart from being a perfect fit for the Diverse Voices square, I've been looking forward to trying one of the collections in the Akashic Noir series - all of which are collections of short stories by authors from the relevant region.

I am very much hoping that the collection will portray a picture of Haiti that is not tainted by the cliches attributed to the Caribbean and not dwelling on the tragic that is so prevalent in media coverage about Haiti. (Not that this may not be a reflection of the state of affairs of the place, but what we get to see on Western European tv screens is, inevitably, informed by a non-Haitian lens, mostly.)

Anyway, my other option for this square was Charlie Chan is Dead: An Anthology of Contemporary Asian American Fiction compiled and edited by Jessica Hagedorn, but Haiti Noir arrived earlier. :)