Halloween Bingo - Diverse Voices

Haiti Noir - M.J. Fievre, Nadine Pinede, Marvin Victor, Marie Lily Cerat, Josaphat-Robert Large, Marie Ketsia Theodore-Pharel, Kettly Mars, Yanick Lahens, Gary Victor, Katia D. Ulysse, Patrick Sylvain, Rodney Saint-Eloi, Louis-Philippe Dalembert, Ibi Zoboi, Evelyne Trouillot, Madiso

The postie just dropped my copy of Haiti Noir through the letter box. I'm excited.

Apart from being a perfect fit for the Diverse Voices square, I've been looking forward to trying one of the collections in the Akashic Noir series - all of which are collections of short stories by authors from the relevant region.

I am very much hoping that the collection will portray a picture of Haiti that is not tainted by the cliches attributed to the Caribbean and not dwelling on the tragic that is so prevalent in media coverage about Haiti. (Not that this may not be a reflection of the state of affairs of the place, but what we get to see on Western European tv screens is, inevitably, informed by a non-Haitian lens, mostly.)

Anyway, my other option for this square was Charlie Chan is Dead: An Anthology of Contemporary Asian American Fiction compiled and edited by Jessica Hagedorn, but Haiti Noir arrived earlier. :)