Task the Eight: The Movie Ticket - Die Feuerzangenbowle

Die Feuerzangenbowle. Eine Lausb├╝berei in der Kleinstadt. - Heinrich Spoerl

Alright, this is one of the reading task of the awesome Twelve Tasks of the Festive Period that I have been looking forward to: Die Feuerzangenbowle was written in 1933 and tells the story of an author, Dr. Johannes Pfeiffer , who spends an evening with a group of gentlemen, who reminisce about their schooldays. As the evening passes, Pfeiffer admits that he was home-schooled and the gentlemen, over a few glasses of punch - famous Feuerzangenbowle, persuade Pfeiffer to go back to school for a few months. So he does, and having nothing to lose, the rather serious Dr. Pfeiffer turns into a bit of a prankster.

Now, this is a light comedy that does not have a particular tie to the festive period, but it is one of the films that tends to be on tv over the holiday period. It's a cult classic, too, but of course it's one of those films that is not known much outside of Germany. To be fair, while the film is entertaining and charming, the best parts of the film are the ones that relate to alcohol - either the scenes featuring the impressive Feuerzangenbowle or the scene about the chemistry lesson that has taught generations of viewers about ethanol fermentation.

By the way, Feuerzangenbowle is one of my favourite party drinks during the festive period. It is warming and fun to prepare, but I will post more about it when I get to write the post for Task the Twelfth (The Wassail Bowl).....

Task Eighth: The Movie Ticket

- Read a book that has been adapted to a holiday movie; or